Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Columbia Loss...


is a Greenville gain. This blog mentioned a few posts awhile back about the opening of the West End Field and the Greenville Drive. Seems that The State decided to write about it also...here. It discusses how the baseball team was a big loss for the City of Columbia and a great gain for Greenville. I have been to the new stadium and it truly is wonderful and a great investment by the City of Greenville. I was sorry to see the G-Braves leave but the 'drive' fit in nicely.

4 comments:

Moose said...

I don't know how big a loss a single A minor league team can really be for Columbia. In a town that dominated by college sports, especially where the baseball program is top notch. In my 7 years of being a Columbia resident I can honestly say that I never attended a bombers game. If they do build that new complex out on Clemson road and bring in a better organization then the bombers, I might consider attending.

Anonymous said...

well i see your point but the point the article discusses is it is more than just the 'game' or the team it is the stadium and what is around it. In the Greenville case, people come to the game on a trolley, can visit Shoeless Joe's house, there is a kid's playground and a grass-y area where you can watch the game...it is creating a sense of 'place' not just watching the game but having a experience. And clemson rd vs downtown....

Dev said...

I doubt anyone will think we're missing out on much once the Cocks start going yard in the Vista..

Moose said...

Dev,
Thank you for helping me out in my personal battle with the upstate. Nothing can compare to a overcast Saturday at the sarge. We will see who is laughing when Texas comes to town to open the new field in 2008.