Just look at those nice palmetto trees on the field such a good touch. Oh...this is suppose to be about my five keys to a Carolina win versus FAU today. I will be leaving here soon to head to the stadium and as my PREDICTION says watch for SC to win today by a score of 34-10.
I feel this week is pretty simple and basic - just win and avoid a letdown.
5 keys Today
1. Strike first and early --- USC must get out the gates strong today even if it is raining. SC needs to get some points on the board and build a nice lead so it can cruise to a win today. Garcia is a key as he must lead this team and move the ball around.
2. Mistake Free Football ---USC can not allow a letdown to occur today and look past FAU even if they are without their go to guy today. Garcia has to play smart, be a leader and throw to the right team. The defense has to tackle and remember X's and O's today. No "shooting ourselves" today.
3. Don't let Special Teams hurt twice ---UGa made USC's special teamers look silly last week with 252 yards in kickoff returns against USC — including three runbacks of at least 48 yards — Gamecocks special teams coordinator Shane Beamer put several starters on the kick coverage team. Fill the running lanes and wrap up. Learn from the issues and do better b/c Ole Miss is watching.
4. USC's Interior D --- The Owls will try to establish a running game and I am sure made notes of UGa going up the gut. So the 3 man front for SC has to be ready to get off blocks and stuff the run. Also the LB's and Secondary can not miss tackles today.
5. Avoiding more injuries --- The injury bug has gotten around at USC - LB Rodney Paulk (knee), DT Nathan Pepper (ankle), LB Reggie Bowens (knee) and OL Kevin Young (knee) are out; SS Darian Stewart (neck) is questionable; DT Melvin Ingram (ankle) and DE Cliff Matthews (neck) are probable. We do not need anymore with a key match up next week vs. Ole Miss. I think this goes back to point #1 to get out to a early lead, play some new guys, control the tempo of the game and leave today with a Win.