Saturday, May 30, 2009
Gamecocks to take on ECU
Here is a quick look at the number 1 seed ECU heading into this regional...
Conference: Conference USA
Ranking: No. 18 Baseball America
Last 10: 7-3
Invite: At large
Top bats: Ryan Wood (.387, 13 HR, 55 RBIs), Stephen Batts (.368, 14 HR, 61 RBIs)
Top arms: Seth Simmons (3-1, 2.63 ERA, 9 SV), Chris Heston (7-0, 3.44 ERA)
Key stat: Had at least 10 hits in 41 of 59 games this season.
Quick facts: Had five of 14 players on first-team all-conference squad. All nine regular starters are hitting at least .317.
I feel USC will need to score often today as this game may be a game of offense b/c ECU can score some runs. Left fielder DeAngelo Mack, right fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and Merrifield, in that order, are South Carolina's three leading hitters and we need them to step up today. USC will need strong pitching and no errors for the entire 9 innings today.
Related coverage of the Gamecocks in Greenville, NC---
ECU Regional Schedule update for today
Session 3 (George Mason vs. ECU/BU loser) - Will begin as scheduled at 2 p.m.
Session 4 (South Carolina vs. ECU/BU winner) - Will begin as scheduled at 6 p.m.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Gamecocks win in Greenville vs. the Pats
USC improves to 39-21 and advances to tomorrow's winners' bracket game. The Gamecocks will play the East Carolina-Binghamton winner at 6 p.m. on Saturday.
SC Baseball vs George Mason Today
Second-seeded USC's first game is at 3 p.m. Friday against third-seeded George Mason. With a 42-12 mark, the Patriots set a school record for victories. But they were ousted in the Colonial league tournament. It's George Mason's first NCAA appearance since 2004.
I am still sour that USC did not get a regional as many, including ESPN analysts who discussed the field, thought the Gamecocks (38-21) were deserving of the regional that went to the Pirates (42-17). Baseball America had predicted this also, even after the teams were knocked out of their respective conference tournaments. South Carolina had 18 victories against the RPI top 50, compared to just five for ECU. USC got robbed....
No crying as it is time to go to work today at 3pm for USC. First up George Mason and let's look at the key facts concerning this team:
- No. 3 seed in the ECU regional
- Conference: Colonial Athletic Association
- Ranking: Unranked
- Record: 42-12
- Last 10: 7-3
- Invite: At large
- Top bats: Chris Henderson (.416, 14, 54 RBIs), Scott Krieger (.378, 20 HR, 80 RBIs)
- Top arms: Mike Modica (11-1, 4.17 ERA), Shawn Griffith (4-0, 2.91 ERA, 3 SV)
- Key stat: Has outscored opponents 428-256 this season.
- Other stuffs: Krieger is the school’s career leader in homers, RBIs, hits, runs and total bases. The Patriots are 1-10 in five previous NCAA appearances.
Go Cocks! Take it one game at a time...
- USC pins hopes on pitching staff
- Gamecocks following familiar path to Omaha
- Morris: How USC turned its season around
- Late-season run was a confidence builder
- Tanner wants 'urgency' from top pitchers
- Tanner had 'grand' time at ECU
Thursday, May 28, 2009
South Carolina moving up Fulmer Cup
- According to Joe Person with THE STATE in his article Coach Spurrier noted yesterday that he intends to coach for four or five more years.
- I agree with Spurrier that voting privacy is a bad idea.
Darrin Horn said that Devan Downey and Dominique Archie are still weighing options......LOHD still feels that both will come back to USC for another year...
SC Baseball News
- Blake Cooper charges ahead with his bulldog mentality
- Baseball adds 2010 commitment
- Union sophomore pitcher Pridemore gets verbal offer from USC
- Ahead of rain, USC sits 12th
- Ashton Payne Named to ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America Team for Second Straight Year
- South Carolina Track Earns 40 Bids To NCAA East Regional
- Clemson lineman suspended 2 games ...no big deal right? But if this was a USC kid...media blitz.
- Billy Gillispie’s $6 million lawsuit
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I want to see Spurrier and Lane in a cage match
In one corner you got...Lane....who I feel for certain if this whole UT coaching thing does not work out for Lane then he has a career for WWE. The next "Bobby the Brain" maybe? This guy can talk smack and ruffle feathers.....who cares if they are true and who cares about rules. Then you got Spurrier, who is known for shooting ya straight and stirring the water a little with some comments.
Let's face it...either you love these two or you hate them. I think this whole think should be played out in a WWE cage match!!! Could you imagine the spin and ratings.... Thoughts?
LOHD has been quiet on this subject b.c we feel Lane needs to win some games before he mouths off to other coaches. But it is interesting and quite funny. It reminds us of the kid on the playground who talks a strong game but can not back it up. Or the little punk who will hide behind others yet run his mouth at you and be glad "they are holding me back." Lane shut up already.....I now think Spurrier has put you in your place and no more talking from you after reading this....courtesy of Joe Person....
Minutes after the football coaches meeting broke up Tuesday evening, Spurrier was stopped by a group of reporters in front of an elevator. After a few team-related questions, Spurrier was asked about a comment made earlier in the day by UT coach Lane Kiffin. When asked if he were going to apologize again to Urban Meyer for accusing the Florida coach of cheating, Kiffin said he never had received an apology from Spurrier after Spurrier questioned whether he had passed the NCAA recruiting test before he began calling prospects.
Told of Kiffin’s remark, Spurrier shook his head, paused then turned around and faced Kiffin, who waiting to get on an elevator.
“I didn’t accuse you of cheating,” Spurrier said, pointing toward Kiffin. “I said, ‘Is it permissible to call recruits before he’s announced as head coach, before you take the test?’”
Spurrier then turned down back to the group of reporters and said:
“He took the test online and I didn’t know you could do that. I thought you had to take the test on campus, then get announced.” Kiffin, who turned red during the 40-second exchange, said something inaudible. Otherwise, he was silent while waiting for the elevator to arrive.
After Kiffin and several other coaches – Kentucky’s Rich Brooks, Auburn’s Gene Chizik and Arkansas’ Bobby Petrino – piled on to the elevator, Spurrier stepped on and announced again, “I didn’t say he broke the rules. I just said, ‘Is it permissible to make calls?’”
What to do with Axon and CC?
Ben Axon, according to published reports in Florida, was a passenger in a car stopped by Bradenton FL police last Wednesday night. The officer smelled marijuana, and Axon showed him 23 baggies of marijuana that he said belonged to him.....so Should Spurrier ax Axon?
Then you got C.C. Whitlock, who was arrested this past weekend near his hometown of Chester and charged with trespassing. This is the same guy that was part of the fight last year at the Russell House...LOHD interpretations of the event were perhaps a little off but nonetheless he was part of the fight that DID happen. So that brings us to this year when C.C. was not holding up the first part of "student - athlete"and got suspended by Spurrier. He just got back on the good side of Spurrer when the 20 year old was arrested early Saturday morning after refusing to leave a nightclub when asked to do so by club security, the owner and Fairfield County Sheriff's deputies. So should Spurrier wash his hands of this troubled youth?
Post your comments....should Spurrier kick both off the team? Should 2nd and 3rd chances be given b/c kids are kids right?
- Tanner pleased with USC's stretch run ....as we all are b/c you guys had us nervous...
- USC not looking past regional opener ....as we shouldn't be...
- Kiffin unapologetic in meeting with SEC coaches
- SEC meetings: Kiffin awaits Spurrier apology .....Lane is a character...
- UK: 3 won't return to basketball team ....bound to happen
- Whitlock suspended again after arrest ...Vote this guy off the island please...
- Morris: SEC has steeled USC for success
- 'Cocky Cloth' creators sue USC
- Smith appears out as UT's strength coach....should not have left SC but we got someone better now!
- Downey hopes to follow Robinson's lead
- USC assistant Brad Lawing talks about the star rating used by Rivals and Scout to rate HS players, and how it means nothing
- I hope Chris Smelley can beat Clemson this weekend.
Times have been set for Friday's regional games
Monday, May 25, 2009
Regionals are all set
USC will be the #2 seed in Greenville, NC.
1.) East Carolina
3.) George Mason
This regional looks really promising for South Carolina chances. Clemson draws Bama and Oklahoma state to Doug Kingsmore.
Hardest regional is UCI's draw of UVA, San Diego State and Fresno State. Uva should feel shafted after winning the ACC tournament only to be shipped across the country.