Wednesday, April 26, 2006

breathalyzers in cars??

Seems we may be getting closer to having breathalyzers in cars some day soon. Could the day be coming when every driver is checked for drinking before starting a car? With a push from MADD and there is currently a New York bill that would require the devices on all cars and trucks by 2009; this may come to your town soon. And automakers, already close to offering the devices as optional equipment on all Volvo and Saab models in Sweden, are considering whether to bring the technology here.
Manufacturers are perfecting technology that could detect alcohol on the skin surface, eliminating the need for the current, cumbersome, blow-into-a-tube breath-analyzing systems.

Seems a little exreme, you decide by reading the article here.

7 comments:

Moose said...

That seems to be a little excessive for me; I don't see a lot of people that drive a lot wanting to blow in to a tube every time they drive. I mean, drink and driving is bad, but there are other preventive measures. I think we have come along way in the fight against drunk driving, but to take it to this extreme might be a mistake.

Anonymous said...

I think anyone who knows me would be for it, so I'll keep quiet on the subject!

Crummy said...

I should keep quiet as well, but I don't like the idea that the police want to catch people without having to do any work. These types of controls, while they seem and are effective in preventing people from drinking and driving, lead to much more serious invasions into our privacy...aka 1984 and big brother. One day we will all be mindless passengers in a world where the government tells us how to live and what jobs we do. I believe there is a scientific term for how you lose the strength in your muscles due to lack of use and have a hard time gaining back full control over them. I believe this is applicable here because the inability to use free will leads to the inability to use the brain.

Dev said...

'atrophy' in making decisions

Crummy said...

Thank you for the term...I was thinking enthropy and I have no idea what that is so I didn't want to screw it up.

penny said...

what scares me is the scent detection on your skin. im still sweating beam from sophmore year

Anonymous said...

You could always get really drunk and put sun tan lotion on so that they can't test your skip. Like the bullfrog that is quick drying that contains alcohol. Wham, just busted the system