Second-seeded USC's first game is at 3 p.m. Friday against third-seeded George Mason. With a 42-12 mark, the Patriots set a school record for victories. But they were ousted in the Colonial league tournament. It's George Mason's first NCAA appearance since 2004.
I am still sour that USC did not get a regional as many, including ESPN analysts who discussed the field, thought the Gamecocks (38-21) were deserving of the regional that went to the Pirates (42-17). Baseball America had predicted this also, even after the teams were knocked out of their respective conference tournaments. South Carolina had 18 victories against the RPI top 50, compared to just five for ECU. USC got robbed....
No crying as it is time to go to work today at 3pm for USC. First up George Mason and let's look at the key facts concerning this team:
- No. 3 seed in the ECU regional
- Conference: Colonial Athletic Association
- Ranking: Unranked
- Record: 42-12
- Last 10: 7-3
- Invite: At large
- Top bats: Chris Henderson (.416, 14, 54 RBIs), Scott Krieger (.378, 20 HR, 80 RBIs)
- Top arms: Mike Modica (11-1, 4.17 ERA), Shawn Griffith (4-0, 2.91 ERA, 3 SV)
- Key stat: Has outscored opponents 428-256 this season.
- Other stuffs: Krieger is the school’s career leader in homers, RBIs, hits, runs and total bases. The Patriots are 1-10 in five previous NCAA appearances.
Go Cocks! Take it one game at a time...