The Gamecock men's basketball team led by first year Coach Horn (19-6, 8-4 SEC) will host the Kentucky Wildcats (19-8, 8-4) at Colonial Life Arena Wednesday with a 7pm start time. This will be the 50th meeting between the 2 teams and UK has a slight advantage with a 41-8 record but I feel we are catching up........South Carolina currently owns a six-game home SEC win streak and have been 15-1 this season at home. So Garnet Army you will be needed tonight and the LOHD voters named you recently "6th man" so showtime!
What is at stake? 1st place in the SEC East and with this remaining schedule of
03/05/09 vs. Tennessee
03/07/09 at Georgia
a win is very much needed tonight. The good part is USC controls their destiny and that is how you want it to be in late February.
Whats we gots to do to win? Simple...just slow Meeks and don't let Patterson hurt us. They get 25ppg and 17ppg respectively so man up on those kids. Well, let's take this a step further in analyzing what carolina must do to win.....
- USC must control the ball and eliminate TOs. Glimpses of sloppy play from SC lately and time to play smart.
- Box out. UK has some length and USC must do some Bball 101 by boxing out to get position. Don't have to win the boards but no easy baskets and hold their own.
- Limit stupid fouls. USC is in no position to get into foul trouble like in the MSU game.
- USC must step up on perimeter D....don't let Meeks and Co have a field day outside the arch.
- Lights out D....for 40 mins Carolina must bring the D....40 mins of hell that is.
- Intensity.....need the fans to be in it and the team must play above the rim, play with heart, no fear yet play smart basketball.
- USC scoring has to be spread out.....UK will focus in on slowing Devan, no stopping him, so Zam / Archie / Muldrow / Holmes have to bring their "A game" and pick up the scoring load. Not even that the other 4 must play as a unit and get to the basket.