Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cheers to the Gamecocks...

If you told me that USC would be at the top of the SEC East standings at the midway point of the season despite losing its top defensive player to a season-ending injury, benching its fifth-year quarterback and creating a new identity on offense to offset a downfield passing attack that has been stagnant until recent weeks....I say you were crazy....but I am lovin' it.

USC is 3-1 in the league with wins over East foes Georgia and Kentucky. And should be 4-1 in two weeks after beating Vanderbilt -- and 7-1 overall after whipping the struggling Tar Heels as they head to Knoxville. I know one game at a time....

USC's toughest SEC games -- at UT, at Arkansas and Florida at home -- are still ahead of the Gamecocks. But USC is atop the East at the midway point of the regular season, and that says something about the team and Spurrier.

Spurrier was quoted in the Greenville News in saying this -“We’re trying to win the division, I don’t know if we can do it, but we’re going to try our best. If we can improve quite a bit along the way, we feel like we have a chance.”

I am proud of the Gamecocks at this point of the season and they are sitting exactly where I thought. As long as Spurrier is telling the media there is a chance, I like the odds.

No comments: