Saturday, September 15, 2007
Keys to a win against SC State...
The No. 17 AP/No. 23 USA Today/Coaches' poll-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks (2-0, 1-0 SEC) return home for a non-conference tilt when they play host to the South Carolina State Bulldogs (1-1, 1-0 MEAC) on Saturday, Sept. 15 at Williams-Brice Stadium (80,250) in Columbia. Game time is set for 7:05 p.m.
This is the first meeting ever on the gridiron between the University of South Carolina and South Carolina State University despite the school's being just 40 minutes apart. This is the 114th year of football at the University of South Carolina and the 100th year of football at South Carolina State.
So what are the keys to the game for a South Carolina Gamecocks win today, well:
1. Stay focused - The Gamecocks don't need to get caught up in the history or "talk" and just play football. Yes we all know that Spurrier will run a basic offense and defense this week due to a big game next week. The players just need to do their job today and get a 'W'.
2. Mix up the Offense - Gamecocks need to get everyone involved today and let's see a mix of run / pass. Would be good to see Boyd / Davis get over a hundred yards rushing...
3. Stop the run on defense -the SC State team runs a run - option type of offense so we need to stop the run and keep them from moving the ball with success.
4. Fundamentals - basically the gamecocks on defense need to make tackles, play their assignments against the option and knock down the passes. It is simple just execute and victory will not be hard.
5. Special Teams --- USC also has not made many big plays on special teams so it would be nice to see a good run or two off a punt / kick off. Also the flip side is we need to play excellent coverage and not let their speed bite us. We need to win field position today.
Do the 5 things above and the gamecocks should be looking at a 30-10 win today.
The Gamecocks have another tough road SEC opponent to face when they travel to Baton Rouge to take on the second-ranked LSU Tigers on Saturday, September 22. The Gamecocks and Tigers have not met since the 2003 season when LSU handed South Carolina a 33-7 setback in Columbia. LSU won the previous year in Baton Rouge by a 38-14 count. South Carolina's last win over LSU came in Baton Rouge in 1994 by an 18-17 margin. LSU leads the all-time series 14-2-1, including a 9-1 advantage in the Bayou.
Look for a simple game plan today and if Carolina squeaks one out today don't get worried just remember who we have next week. It is like poker...don't want to show too much....go cocks!