Friday, August 25, 2006

More science stuff from a reader

In light of the recent "Pluto decision", I thought it important to bring another fact to light for the readers of LeftOverHotDog. I am sure, like me, many of you grew up knowing the world has five major oceans: the Atlantic, the Pacific, the Indian, the Artic, and the Antartic. But, did you know in 2000, the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) voted 27-1 with 40 member nations non-responsive to change the name of the Antartic Ocean to the Southern Ocean.
While this name is commonly used among mariners, I don't think they notified the school system effectively. They changed the name to reflect then recent findings about ocean currents.
First, the Antartic, now Pluto! While we're changing the names of things, I think it appropriate to point out that both of these natural wonders are older than the institutions that decided to reclassify them.
Yours in irony, Joey C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

joey you amaze me....now graduate!