The ACC Media Days is taken place and here are some notes related to NCSU that may be of interest since we play them in 38 days.
N.C. State coach Tom O’Brien is prepared for the possibility that quarterback Russell Wilson will play just one more season for the Wolfpack football team. Wilson, a first-team All-ACC selection as a redshirt freshman last season, is on an accelerated academic schedule and on track for graduation in the spring of 2010. He also is a baseball prospect who’s eligible for the 2010 draft. O’Brien said family health issues – Wilson’s father suffered a stroke about a year ago – could factor into his decision.
Why does this matter to a gamecock fan? With Wilson’s future uncertain beyond this season, O’Brien plans to play highly touted redshirt freshman backup Mike Glennon for a series in the first half in each game.
Other notes from O’Brien’s news conference on interest:
- Tight end Matt Kushner is at full strength after recovering from a knee injury last season.
- O’Brien said safety Javon Walker, who’s also coming back from a knee injury, might not be ready for the start of preseason camp. But Walker is closer to being ready than wide receiver Donald Bowens, who’s out until at least October while recovering from knee surgery.
- Linebacker Nate Irving’s collapsed lung came as the result of a puncture by a broken rib, O’Brien said. Originally, N.C. State announced that Irving had a broken leg and a collapsed lung. O’Brien said the leg injury was a compound fracture, and Irving also separated a shoulder. No matter what it sounds bad and we hope he gets well soon!
- NCSU was picked to finish 3rd in Atlantic Div
- NCSU QB Wilson finished 3rd in Preseason ACC POY award