Saturday, February 14, 2009

SEC Hoops Power Poll Round Table

As many of you know by now LOHD is part of the SEC Power Poll Blog Network. From time to time a round table is conducted amongst the group to share insight on their perspectives of the SEC. This is the first round table for the basketball season and here are LOHD's thoughts -

1. What were the biggest surprises in the SEC over the first half of the season?

I feel the biggest surprise has been how the SEC East is wide open. I really thought going into the season that that UT would walk away with it. But the surprise has been that the play of USC, stepped up game of UF and weaknesses shown by UK and UT. Never would have thought that in mid-February that the SEC East would be a 4 horse race. I do hope that USC can win it all in the East.

2. Who is the SEC Player of the Year over the first part of the season?

Not just because we are a USC blog but I have to say Devan Downey gets my first place vote. He is 5th in scoring, 4th in assists and 1st in steals. Besides that he has made clutch shots and been the leader that USC needs. If I get to say who is my second place vote getter I am going to have to say Korvotney Barber at Auburn. Averaging a double double and has improved his team over that last few weeks.

3. Is the SEC really this down? Why or why not? What can the conference do in the postseason? Is there any hope for a Final Four team? Where does the conference go after this year?

I would have to say that the SEC is down when you compare it to prior years but the league is not soft by any means. Talent has moved on to the NBA and made a lot of teams level in playing ability which has made for a see-saw kinda year so far. I think 1 or 2 teams will make the NCAA tourney interesting but I don't see a final 4 team amongst the bunch as of right now. I feel this conference will improve and next year be stronger. Lots of young kids earning their stripes right now.

4.Which teams will make the Big Dance?

I would say LSU, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky. Mississippi State has an outside shot if they keep 2nd place in the SEC West locked down. Ole Miss, Auburn, and Vandy make the NIT.

Make sure to check on the complete wrap up of the round table at The Garnet and Black Blog

No comments: