Friday, April 21, 2006

How high can you go?

Many of you know how I feel about gas and how our country is addicted to oil. I won't go into detail today but something is wrong with the gas system and our economy. I know our econmy is doing great on many fronts, these are the best of times: Unemployment is at 4.7 percent, lower than the averages of the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. The economy is showing strong, consistent growth, without significant inflation. And the stock market is roaring along. I know their our other issues to contend with like Iraq, Iran and trade issues with China. But this Gas issue (the oil based product not the other type) is a big concern. Do you realize that if gas prices hold steady right now we will be paying almost $500 dollars (on average) more in gas for the year as compared to last year? Wow....

Well, I ran across a AP article today stating the gas prices across the country. The high was at a station in Cali. It reads, "full service high octane gas reaches $4.049 dollars per gallon Thursday, April 20, 2006, at a gas station in Beverly Hills, Calif. Oil prices held steady near record highs Thursday after weekly data showed a drop in U.S. gasoline stocks, raising worries that refiners don't have an adequate inventory cushion ahead of the peak summer driving season." Wow....I thought I had it bad with gas floating between $2.71 to $2.81 here in upstate SC depending on which station. I guess the point of this story is..."No matter how bad you think you have it in life it can always be worse....."

4 comments:

Crummy said...

I'm not incredibly worried about gas prices in Beverly Hills. Those crazy Californians have been paying more than the rest of us for a long time. Plus, all of their gas stations quote the prices with a strange mark, "EC Unleaded" "EC Unleaded Plus." When I asked about this no one out there knew what the it was. So I wonder, why can't just the Californians pay the increase in oil prices, while the rest of us pay the old prices? They are used to it and I suspect it is their fault.

Anonymous said...

75 bucks a barrel today! Time to buy stock in gas companies...

Crummy said...

Very good Mr. Sock. I am impressed that you recognized the "I Love Lucy" reference from a previous comment. I would like to say that I believe that the movie industry is essentially resorting to using previous shows for their stories already. But, maybe we can look forward to the story of Natalee Holloway. You know, because we haven't already seen that played out on the screen.

Moose said...

Mopeds for all, that is what I say. Like in china or India were there are no lines on the roads and you can pretty much do what you want on the ole speed racer